Its hard to believe to some, but it is true!
Avoiding refined sugar is one of the best ways to minimize blood sugar spikes and crashes, which causes a drastic change in energy level. The most effective way to get off sugar is to get to the root cause of your sugar cravings. Here are a few strategies:
1. Eat sweet vegetables, such as carrots, parsnips, corn, winter squash, sweet potatoes and onion to satisfy our body’s need for sweet taste (which is normal)
2. Eat meals with low glycemic load to avoid fluctuation in energy and blood sugar level. When we crash, we reach for sugar for quick fixes. Combine whole grains and vegetables (high fiber foods) with a moderate amount of good fats and lean protein.
3. Stay hydrated – thirst is sometimes mistaken as hunger, which leads to cravings.
4. Investigate sugar cravings as a result of nutrient deficiency – e.g. chromium and tryptophan. This was a big factor for me.
5. Nourish your soul – some people crave sweets out of boredom or loneliness
When we are having craving that usually means that something bigger is going on. I am a true believer in having things that you love, but not to over due it. If sugar is a trigger food for you - you may want to look at alternatives. I know many coaches say that sugar is not bad and you can eat it- I say that is not true, sugar is a huge issue for many people. Please do your research and if I can help you in any way please reach out to me.